An excellent exercise routine, reasonably good lifestyle choices, and regular check ups are all vital components of maintaining the quality of your circulation, but did you know that there are certain foods that can boost and improve blood flow as well.
Diet cannot be the only line of defense against venous disease, of course, but in combination with a bevy of other factors, maintaining a diet rich in blood enriching foods and beverages can do wonders for your vascular system. Here is a list of just a few items you might want to keep on the menu:
● Garlic and onions -- Although they will not offer you any favors in the breath department, garlic and onions are much beloved ingredients found in a vast number of cuisine options. They are also provide nutrients that cleanse blood and reduce plaque buildup.
● Tomato sauce -- This can pair right along perfectly with each of the bulbs listed above. What you are going for from the sauce is a chemical known as lycopene, which has been linked to several health benefits, including increased circulation. Lycopene is often found in red or pinkish coloured fruits, such as tomatoes and even watermelon.
● Dark, leafy greens -- Kale, spinach, and collards all fit the mold for deep, richly coloured leaves that are high in vitamin E, which is a key nutrient for increasing blood flow.
● Spicy peppers -- The magic of capsaicin, which gives the heat to the spicy peppers of the world, is that it is elemental in a range of health benefits, from improving overall circulation to battling off inflammation. If raw peppers are not on your preferred shopping list, a strong dose of cayenne pepper in a dish can bring the heat in its stead.
● Green tea -- It’s the antioxidants infused in the green tea that really make it a boon to your vascular health. Having a cup of hot tea with breakfast is a great way to kick off every morning.
● Bananas -- Potassium rich foods such as these yellow fruits are great for lowering blood pressure. Go ahead and stock up on them, though do be aware of the high fat content present in bananas.
● Dark chocolate -- We weren’t going to let you skate by without something a little sweet and delicious on the list. Dark chocolate (as opposed to the sweeter, less nutritious chocolates) has antioxidants that can do wonders for the vascular system. Just remember to enjoy such sweet treats in moderation.
At the Vein & Vascular Center in Jackson, TN, we specialize in providing the most up-to-date, professional vascular care. Boasting several decades of combined experience through our physicians and staff, we are proud to offer the best services in our area. If you are concerned about a possible issue with your veins or vascular system, please check in with us today! We encourage you to stop by our office, which is located at 395 Hospital Blvd, Jackson , TN. You may also call us at 731-664-7395, or find us on the web at www.vvcjackson.com where you can learn more about our team and services.